Press "Enter" to skip to content


  1. Rob
    Rob February 9, 2009

    Thanks for the graphs and template!

    One query, I dont seem to get the same results as you on the same IOS version. Not sure if its because I’m running the advipservices instead of advsecurity?

    With c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin I get some lovely graphs like yours.
    With c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.bin all I get is nan.

    Having a poke around, cacti log file tells me the snmp query is incorrect. I pulled one of the OIDs and ran a snmpwalk:

    snmpwalk -v 2c -c .

    SNMPv2-SMI::transmission. = No Such Instance currently exists at this OID

    If I shorten the OID and go further up the chain, it spits results out, so showing me snmp is working.

    What are the chances of the OID having changed between IOS versions?

  2. Rob
    Rob February 9, 2009

    Hmm, had some angled brackets in my snmpwalk string above to obfuscate the community string, they’ve not shown correctly. For clarity i DID have a community string in there; eg.

    snmpwalk -v 2c -c public .

  3. aLcAtRoN
    aLcAtRoN February 9, 2009

    Hi Rob, Thanks for your feedback.

    Try decrementing the last OID value by 1 to .11 instead of .12, see if it picks up.

  4. Rob
    Rob February 9, 2009

    Righty ho, found it. Seems that the interface index numbers may not survive a reboot, and may be renumbered.

    The last OID value you mention is indeed the interface index number.

    I did a “show snmp mib ifmib ifindex”

    which revealed that the ATM0-adsl ifindex was listed as 13. Changed the last OID value to .13 and hey presto my graphs are back.

    I believe setting “snmp-server ifindex persist” on the router will make sure the index values dont change upon restarts.

    For what its worth, I’ve encountered issues with c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T.bin – it connects fine on starting, but if the link is lost it is never recovered properly (traffic doesnt flow). The external ip address is still intact but it seems it messes up firewall/filter rules and blocks all traffic both outbound and inbound.
    This behaviour doesnt occur with c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T7.bin – if the link fails then it recovers OK and traffic continues to flow.
    Annoyed as I’ve lost my connection to my router from work! Have a nice day! Rob

  5. aLcAtRoN
    aLcAtRoN February 9, 2009

    Hi Rob,

    Good to see the last oid is the right number which worked. Maybe you can try the new alcatel dsl firmware with -22.T.bin and see how the modem performs? The latest one is AMR-4.0.015.bin. It might solve the issue you are seeing, or you could downgrade to ios -20.T.bin as well.

    Another tip:
    To give you more detail about each IOS version I suggest the following cisco website below which has all the IOS presentations in PDF format whats new and whats changed.

  6. Rob
    Rob February 10, 2009

    aLcAtRoN good evening!
    I have to admit, I dont think its the dsl firmware. Admittedly I got far better stability with AMR-3.0.033.bin than the built-in one, and thats what I’ve got on all my home routers. I’ll look out for 4.0.015 like you suggest.

    I actually think my loss of traffic is some glitch with the firewall/IPS (built with SDM). Totally screwy I know, but I can replicate this every time:

    – start off with -15.T7, apply basic config to get the router on the net, at this moment in time unsecured.
    – fire up SDM and secure the router by building a basic firewall, write config
    – this will sit there and work. If connection drops then reconnected fine
    – I then write the -22.T.bin firmware and reload router
    – router will not connect at all. If I remove ONLY the zone-member statements from the external interface (effectively disabling firewalling) it bursts into life and traffic is passed.
    – If from the CLI I remove all traces of any firewalling, policy maps, class maps, etc. then build a new one using SDM, it WILL then connect properly after a reload. Sadly, if it loses connection it stays lost until reloaded as described in my previous post.

    Like I say, I can replicate the above each and every time with firmware > 15.T7. No idea why yet, leads me to believe an issue with firewalling, still poking around (and learning all the time!).

    Thanks for the tips ref. IOS presentations, seem to remember having a poke around them before.

    Anyway, I digress from the original purpose of THIS web page, which is Cacti scripts and SNMP queries of cisco routers. Once again, many thanks for the graphs!


  7. aLcAtRoN
    aLcAtRoN February 10, 2009

    Thanks again for your feedback. Yeah something doesnt seem quite right there with the configuration, maybe the changes in the different IOS versions slightly altered something. Good to see you got the Cacti graphs working! 🙂

    In regards to the stability I’ll have to try AMR-3.0.033.bin, since ive been having some stability issues myself with the 877. I have tried 4.0.015, but still felt like not much has changed, I know the default firmware is not that stable, and now I have downgraded to AMR-3.0.043.bin. I find its a bit better, but i’ll give AMR-3.0.033.bin a try as well and see how it goes. Thanks!

  8. Criggie
    Criggie December 9, 2009

    I tried this with my old soho77 (an 837 in drag) and none of the ADSL specific graphs return anything. My router must be too old.

  9. aLcAtRoN
    aLcAtRoN December 30, 2009

    You will need to find what SNMP OIDs are in use for that particular modem and then edit the values in Cacti what IDs to probe. Read my article on GetIF

Comments are closed.